‘This hotel is so charismatic. From the enchanting nooks and crannies to the rustic wooden beams, Woolley Grange flirts with eccentricity whilst being a luxury, family friendly hotel. Not only does the hotel impress the adults, it also inspires the children with its magical atmosphere and gardens.’ Sue, CrispWhiteSheets
All the holiday, none of the hassle
Travelling with young children is not always easy, pleasurable or relaxing. So why travel far when you can enjoy a wonderful family holiday closer to home in the tranquil surroundings of Woolley Grange? Here you are a stone’s throw from Bath, Longleat, the Cotswolds, Stonehenge and some gorgeous National Trust properties as well as an easy downhill stroll from pretty Bradford on Avon and numerous other attractions. That is, if you can pull yourself away from the hotel.
Relax by the pool or enjoy a drink on the Terrace
For summer is when Woolley really comes alive. Relaxing by the heated outdoor pool, with far-reaching views and big Wiltshire skies, you could be a world away. Don’t be surprised to be offered delicious local ice cream or fresh watermelon by one of our friendly young waiters while you’re here. Sitting on the terrace with a chilled glass of local award-winning wine or a Bath Ale, you may discover that your child has made friends with another small guest and is playing roly-polys on the grass, while the older ones have formed a football team, are bouncing on the trampoline or playing a game of hide and seek.
Have a family picnic in the grounds
Fancy a picnic? Woolley’s 14 acres of gardens offer many delightful picnic sites. We provide woollen tartan blankets and, of course, a scrumptious made-to-order picnic. Just pick your spot!
Woolley...whatever the weather!
On wetter days, retire to the comfortable lounges, where traditional board games come out, along with the antique chests full of Lego, wooden train sets and children’s books. Hot chocolate and babyccinos are served, alongside cappuccinos and home baked shortbread biscuits. Alternatively, enjoy the indoor pool and spa or the Woolley Bears Den, our Ofsted-registered kids’ club, providing organised children’s activities. The Den offers indoor crafts, games and lots of toys or, on dry days, outdoor den building, marshmallow toasting and the Little Green Fingers gardening club, to name but a few. For older ones there’s the Hen House, with air hockey, pool and table football (and computer games if all else fails!).
Delicious food, freshly grown
Meals are also very family-friendly, from children’s high tea to adult candlelight dining (with hotel baby listening for little ones in bed or cinema club for the slightly older children) or family meals in the Orangery. Much of our produce comes from our own gardens and the food is delicious!
Need a lie-in?
If lie-ins are a distant memory for you, we offer a Sunday Breakfast service, meaning you can enjoy a lie-in with breakfast in bed, while the children are picked up from your room by our kids’ club staff and taken off for some breakfast fun and games. This is popular, so pre-booking is essential!
In summary, we don’t think you’ll hear ‘Mum, I’m bored’, and the tears usually only come on departure!
If we haven’t already tempted you, here’s a little list of some more things to do at Woolley over the summer...
Reasons to be cheerful: 15 more family fun ideas at Woolley this summer
1. Get to know the grounds by following the Woolley Sheep Trail. Great fun for little and big kids alike (and the little ones get to win a prize!)
2. Chill out at the Spa. With the steam room, sauna and indoor and outdoor pool, it's so warm and balmy you could be in the Caribbean…well, almost!
3. Indulge in a back massage, an Elemis facial or have your toes painted in pretty colours. Our Spa therapists are at your call…but best to book early as they are very popular! Younger person treats are also available.
4. Go pond netting. Nets are available in the lobby, but please read any notices by the pond…at certain times we mustn’t scare the newts or tadpoles!
5. Great weather? Enjoy a game of croquet, boules, French cricket or football on the front lawn. A bit less good? Sit by the fire and play a game of Cluedo or Scrabble, or curl up with a good book.
6. Eat, drink and be merry! If you’re old enough, try one of our delicious cocktails. If you’re too young, or like pretending, try a mocktail instead.
7. Watch your child enjoy the mini-Olympics, part of the Woolley Bears Den organised activities this summer. Egg and spoon races, three legged races...there's traditional sporty fun, or if you child prefers activities of the crafty kind, we'll be making Olympic medals and flags to support Team GB!
8. Look for fairies in the Nature Garden. But ssshhh! They’re very shy.
9. For all potential Farmer Giles’, sit on our vintage tractor and inspect the crops!
10. Play shop in the playhouse shop in the Good Life Garden.
11. Admire the produce (and buy some to take home) in the real Walled Garden Shop.
12. Wander around the Amazing Grass Maze.
13. Choose and collect your egg from Chicken House No 1. If you write your name on it, the chef will cook it for your breakfast. Best to ask one of the team first, so as not to offend the hens.
14. Have a go at gardening in the Good Life Garden. The gardening team always need an extra hand! If you fancy sowing and growing ask Eliza, our Head Gardener, for some seeds.
15. Animal lovers: bring your own dog (we welcome them!), say hello to Simon the rabbit, pet Rex the hotel dog, or camp out in the bird hide to spot animals of a wilder variety (binoculars provided).
What's going on around the Wiltshire and Bath area
You can also find out what’s on in the area during your stay by visiting our local events page. From Longleat Safari Park’s 50th Birthday celebrations to the Wiltshire Music Centre’s children’s summer programme…there’s always plenty going on!